Seattle Seahawks Community Response
Seahawks Community Response
The Seahawks are committed to destigmatizing the conversation around mental health by spreading awareness on the topic, providing necessary resources, positively engaging with our community, amplifying the voices of experts in this space, and encouraging all people to nurture their mental wellness every day.
A person's condition with regard to their psychological and emotional well-being.
1 in 5 U.S. adults experience mental illness
50% of all lifetime mental illness begins by age 14
17% of youth experience a mental health disorder
Know The Signs And Seek Help
- - Feeling very sad or withdrawn for more than two weeks
- - Trying to harm or end one's life or making plans to do so
- - Severe, out-of-control, risk-taking behavior that causes harm to self or others
- - Sudden overwhelming fear for no reason, sometimes with a racing heart, physical discomfort or difficulty breathing
- - Significant weight loss or gain
Worried About Yourself Or Someone You Care About?
- - If you notice any of these symptoms, it's important to ask questions
- - Try to understand what your loved one (or yourself) is experiencing and how their daily life is impacted
- - Making the above connections is often the first step to getting treatment
Steps To Take
- - Talk with a health care professional
- - Learn more about mental illness
- - Take a mental health education class
- - Call the NAMI HelpLine at 800-950-NAMI
Benefits To Promoting Social-Emotional Well-Being
- - Higher overall productivity
- - Better educational outcomes
- - Lower crime rates
- - Stronger economies
- - Lower health care costs
- - Improved quality of life
- - Increased lifespan
- - Improved family life
Resources To Utilize
- - Reach out to NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) via their helpline (800-950-NAMI) or text "NAMI" to 741741
- - Contact Washington 211 by calling 2-1-1 or visiting wa211.org
- - When facing immediate crisis contact the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 800-247-8255
- - Utilize Urban League of Metropolitan Seattle's Healthy Black Minds Program
- - Seek therapy from a provider who understands the specific needs of people of color and various cultures through the Washington Counselors of Color Network
Big Ray's Garage Grind: Mental Health Edition
Ep. 9: Reflecting On Conversations With Seahawks Legends
Nov 14, 2023
Big Ray recaps some of his previous conversations with Seahawks Legends like Doug Baldwin and K.J. Wright. Today's show: holiday season can be really tough (02:09), honored to interview Seahawks Legends (04:08), lessons learned from K.J. Wright (06:09), unresolved issues can cause problems down the road (11:40), sacrifices made by athletes and other high achievers (15:40), getting to therapy (25:33), Mindful Therapy Group (32:41), and pressure to perform and win is hurting our young people (37:36).
Ep. 8 (Part 2): K.J. Wright
Oct 31, 2023
Seahawks Legends Ray Roberts and K.J. Wright get together to discuss the benefits of going to therapy and the importance of maintaining your mental health. Today's show: Going to therapy (02:59), Mindful Therapy Group (06:20), K.J.'s retirement speech and being on empty, K.J.'s message to other players on mental health (12:18).
Ep. 8 (Part 1): K.J. Wright
Oct 25, 2023
Seahawks Legends Ray Roberts and K.J. Wright get together to discuss dealing with anxiety, experiencing the highs and lows of the Super Bowls, K.J. playing on one of the best defenses of all time, and more. Today's show: Sylvester Croom connection (02:59), Playing on the best defense of all time (05:36), Books and Ball (07:34), Support for our brothers (10:27), Seahawks drafting another linebacker (12:39), Coach Carroll being there for K.J. (14:00), Handling the highs and lows of the Super Bowls (18:05), Experiencing anxiety (24:44).
Ep. 7: World Mental Health Day
Oct 10, 2023
Big Ray drops some wisdom on World Mental Health Day with an emphasis on mental toughness and curiosity. Today's show: Mental Health is the Foundation (01:22), Mental Toughness (04:38), Guardrails (11:05), Mental Flexibility (14:46), Mindful Therapy Group (19:10), Curiosity (23:48).
Ep. 6: Welcome Back To The Garage Grind
Aug 30, 2023
Welcome back to Big Ray's Garage Grind, now proudly presented by the Mindful Therapy Group, a collaborative network of nearly 1,000 licensed, independent mental health clinicians. Today's show: Explanation of the Garage Grind (01:30), trauma shows up in many ways (07:26), Mindful Therapy Group & resources (15:46), Tristan Wirfs story (18:52), and Ray's support group (23:48).
Ep. 5: Men's Mental Health Awareness Month
Jun 26, 2023
With June being Mens' Mental Health Awareness Month, Ray Roberts discusses the importance of taking care of your mental health, ways to approach improving your mental health, how your mental health is connected to everything you do, and more.