RENTON, Wash. – The Seattle Seahawks announced today WR Tyler Lockett as its nominee for the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award presented by Nationwide. Considered one of the league's most prestigious honors, the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award presented by Nationwide recognizes an NFL player for outstanding community service activities off the field, as well as excellence on the field. Each of the league's 32 nominees were announced today.
A 2022 Seahawks team captain, Lockett is a two-time Pro Bowler and three-time AP All-Pro. He ranks second in franchise history with 52 receiving touchdowns, third in receiving yards with 6,903 and third in receptions with 515. He also ranks second in punt return yards (1,078) and fourth in kickoff return yards (3,188). His 18 career 100-yard games rank second in franchise history, and his 11,434 combined yards trail only Hall of Famer Steve Largent's 13,396 for the Seahawks franchise record.
This is the second consecutive year Lockett has been named the team's Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year nominee. He also received the team's 2021 Steve Largent Award, given to the player who best exemplifies the spirit, dedication, and integrity of the Seahawks, as well as the 2021 Art Rooney Sportsmanship Award.
Since joining the Seahawks in 2015, serving the community has been one of Lockett's greatest passions, supporting numerous initiatives in not only Seattle, but his home state of Oklahoma, as well as in Kansas where he attended college at Kansas State. His numerous community service efforts include:
- He recently launched a College Scholarship Program, where he selected seven students to receive $34,000 in scholarships for the 2021-22 academic year. Students who were awarded scholarships have since been admitted to Tennessee State University, Wichita State University, Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College, Oral Roberts University, and Tulsa Community College.
- This year, Lockett hosted 12 Tulsa Public School students as part of a Job Shadow Program, where he organized an opportunity for the students to participate in a three-day job shadow with Virginia Mason Franciscan Health, Keller Williams Realty and the Seahawks. Participating students were also awarded a $5,000 scholarship, for a total of $60,000 in scholarships.
- Through Lockett's Youth Sports Leadership Initiative, he identifies youth sports organizations that could excel and benefit from the donation of clothing, funding, and leadership principles. This year, Tyler identified three organizations in Oklahoma that received $21,000 in Adidas uniforms and funding to support their sport.
- Partnering with his alma mater's Kansas State Athletics Department, Lockett provided $10,000 in 2022 to the Kansas State Football Team to implement the Catapult Data Tracking technology. This wearable technology allows teams to track player distance traveled, explosive plays, and load.
- In 2021, more than $32,000 worth of clothing, shoes and food were donated by Lockett's Light It Up Foundation to the Tulsa Day Center for the Homeless.
- This year, Lockett donated $6,000 to support Domestic Violence Intervention Services, Tulsa's only nonprofit agency who provides comprehensive intervention and prevention services to men, women and children affected by domestic and sexual violence.
- Since 2017, Lockett has hosted annual Youth Football ProCamps in Seattle and Oklahoma. Over the two-day camps, more than 300 youth receive skill training from Lockett and other coaches including instruction, lectures, fundamental football skills, and non-contact games in a high energy, fun, and positive environment.
As a nominee, Lockett will wear a Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year helmet decal through the end of the season in recognition of his accomplishments on and off the field.
For the fourth year in a row, all 32 team winners will be highlighted as nominees and recognized for their important work during the weekend leading up to Super Bowl LVII. The 2022 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year will be announced during NFL Honors, a primetime awards special to air the Thursday before Super Bowl LVII, on NBC.
All 32 nominees will receive up to a $40,000 donation in their name to their charity of choice. The winner of the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year award will receive up to a $250,000 donation to the charity of his choice. All donations are courtesy of the NFL Foundation and Nationwide.
Fans are encouraged to participate in Nationwide's 8th annual Charity Challenge, a social media campaign designed to support and promote team nominees. Fans can vote on Twitter by using #WPMOYChallenge followed by their favorite nominee's last name or Twitter handle. The player whose unique hashtag is used the most between Dec. 6 and Jan. 8 will receive a $25,000 contribution to his charity of choice, while the second and third place finishers will receive $10,000 and $5,000 donations, all courtesy of Nationwide. Hashtag information and official rules can be found at nfl.com/manoftheyear.
Take a look at wide receiver Tyler Lockett in the community, both in the Seattle area and beyond, throughout his eight years in the NFL. Lockett is the Seahawks' 2022 nominee for the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award, given to a player for his excellence on and off the field.