RENTON, Wash. – The Seahawks announced today gameday activities for its annual Salute to Service game, presented by USAA, the Official Seahawks and NFL Salute to Service Partner. The game will be held on Thursday Night Football, November 15 versus the Green Bay Packers, with kickoff at 5:20 p.m.
Special gameday participants and honorees will include:
- The U.S. Air Force Wings of Blue Parachute Team members will deliver the game coin.
- 150 service members representing each branch of service will unfurl a full field flag.
- Presenting our nation’s colors, a Joint Honor Guard led by Staff Sergeant Jordan Rodolfich of the I Corps Honor Guard at Joint Base Lewis-McChord. The guard is comprised of military service members presenting all branches of the armed services. Along with the national flag, this joint service color guard carries flags for the Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard.
- United States Marine Corps Staff Sergeant Kevin Brown, a Purple Heart recipient, will lead the team out of the tunnel carrying the U.S. Flag.
- U.S Air Force Reserve Tech Sgt. Freddie Garza, with the 446th Airlift Wing, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, will sing the National Anthem.
- The 12 Flag will be raised by 96-year-old U.S. Air Force combat veteran Staff Sergeant Art Unruh, who was a B-17 waist gunner for the 32nd Fighter Group during WWII. During a six month span in 1944, Unruh participated in 243 hours and 15 minutes of aerial combat. His awards and decorations include a Silver Star, Air Medal, WWII Victory Medal and the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal. Unruh has lived in Everett, Wash. since 1952 and serves as a docent at Paul Allen’s Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum.
- During halftime, the team will honor Filipino WWII Congressional Gold Medal recipients. From 1941-1945, these Filipino heroes fought for their homeland, both in their own militias and with U.S. troops under General McArthur, many enduring the Bataan Death March and prison camps.
During the Salute to Service Moment presented by USAA, the Seahawks and USAA will recognize U.S. Army Ranger, Master Sergeant Brent Gillaspie, a 20-year special operations combat veteran and the recipient of two Bronze stars. Gillaspie has served in 14 deployments and various combat theaters.
In honor of Veterans Day, employees from the Seahawks, Starbucks and Delta Air Lines joined forces on Sunday to create 2,000 care packages for service members, veterans and their families in partnership with USO Northwest. The care packages included special items from all three organizations including Seahawks wristbands, pens, thank you cards and lip balm, Starbucks VIA, reusable cups with lids, gum and snacks, as well as ear buds, Biscoff cookies, Ritz Crisps and activity books for kids from Delta.
Additional honors/activities at the game will include:
- Touchdown City: Courtesy of the Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum, pregame in Touchdown City fans will have the opportunity to view a Boeing B-17E Flying Fortress Tail and Ball Turrets (US star), a Ford GPW Military “Jeep” and a M5A1 Stuart Light Tank*. *
- Heroes of 12 Seats: The Seahawks will host and recognize “Gold Star Families.”
- Suites to Service Members: Many Seahawks suite owners will host more than 100 service members participating in gameday activities in their suites to watch the game.
- Blue Thunder: Members of JBLM Army Band and Kitsap Naval Base Navy Band will join Blue Thunder throughout the day.
- Salute to Service Donation: Throughout the month of November, 12% of Seahawks “Salute to Service” merchandise sales from Seattle-area Pro Shop locations (Downtown 4th & Pike, CenturyLink Field, Renton Landing, Alderwood Mall) will go to The Mission Continues, a nonprofit organization that empowers veterans to build stronger communities through service. The Pro Shop will also donate 100% of auction proceeds from game-worn Salute to Service items. All four Seattle-area Pro Shop locations will also take donations to benefit The Mission Continues throughout the month of November. For store hours and information, visit Seahawks.com/ProShop. Lyft, the preferred rideshare partner of the Seahawks, will also donate 12% from all rides to and from Seahawks home games in November to The Mission Continues.
Fans are encouraged to arrive early to enjoy game day activities and avoid any traffic or parking delays. A transportation guide is available at Seahawks Gameday Guide.
Service members representing each branch of the military visited Seahawks headquarters on Monday, joining Seahawks players and staff in placing decals on helmets ahead of Seattle's Salute to Service game, presented by USAA against the Green Bay Packers on Thursday night at CenturyLink Field.