Midway through their first preseason game of the 2017 season, the Seattle Seahawks lead the Los Angeles Chargers 34-17 at the StubHub Center. Here are a few notes from the first half of football:
- From left to right, the Seahawks trotted out the following offensive line to begin the game: George Fant, Luke Joeckel, Justin Britt, Oday Aboushi and Germain Ifedi.
- Seattle's first-team defense played only the opening series against the Chargers. San Diego pushed the ball 75 yards down the field and put seven on the board after Philip Rivers tossed a 5-yard touchdown to tight end Antonio Gates.
- As expected with Jeremy Lane inactive, rookie Shaquill Griffin started opposite of Richard Sherman at cornerback. On the first pass aimed his way, Griffin was good in coverage and recorded a pass breakup. He also lined up as a nickel back.
- Even though it was just one drive, Earl Thomas looked like his old self. On the play Griffin recorded his breakup, Thomas came flying in and made a nice hit on the intended receiver.
- The Seahawks' first team offense played one drive just like the defense, and it resulted in a 42-yard field goal by kicker Blair Walsh.
- Russell Wilson completed 3-of-4 passes for 41 yards and had one run for five yards.
- Paul Richardson caught two of Wilson's passes and recorded 30 yards. One of his catches was a spectacular one-handed grab, which is seriously becoming a regular thing for him.
- Thomas Rawls received the first batch of carries among Seahawks running backs. Rawls carried the ball twice and gained five yards.
- The Seahawks had two interceptions in the first half and they both weren't by defensive backs. The first interception was by linebacker Terence Garvin, who caught a deflected ball and returned it 37 yards for a touchdown. The second pick was by defensive lineman Tylor Harris, who caught a tipped pass courtesy of Nazair Jones. In total, Seattle scored 17 points off turnovers in the first half.
- In his first game, Eddie Lacy carried the ball four times for 10 yards with Seattle's second unit.
- Filling in for Wilson after the first drive, backup quarterback Trevone Boykin completed 7-of-9 passes for 101 yards and a touchdown. He also ran for 31 yards and a touchdown on the ground.
- Wide receiver Kasen Williams made two impressive sideline catches for 56 yards
Photos of Seahawks fans on site at StubHub Center for the team's preseason opener against the Los Angeles Chargers.