With the No. 106 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Seahawks not only nabbed a wideout with size and speed who led the Michigan Wolverines in receiving last year, but also an athlete who — as Seattle head coach Pete Carroll put it — "has a great story" and "went through a lot" in his life to get to this point.
Amara Darboh, the 6-foot-1, 216-pound pass catcher who the Seahawks selected with their sixth and final pick on what was an extremely busy Day 2 of the draft, was born in Sierra Leone during a civil war that wound up claiming more than 50,000 lives, including those of his parents, Solimon and Kadita. Darboh said he spent much of his early childhood "moving around a lot" with his brothers and sisters as they sought refuge in nearby countries, eventually securing a trip to the United States.
"I moved when I was seven so I remember – fortunately for me – I remember the good parts right before we left," Darboh said via conference call on draft day of what he remembers about his time in Sierra Leone. "I remember playing soccer with my older brothers. I remember the food. I remember family members. I remember going to the market with my brothers and sisters and stuff like that."
A Christian group sponsored Darboh’s move west, where he set up in Des Moines, Iowa. He obtained U.S. citizenship in September 2015.
"I feel like I've gone through some difficult times in my life," Darboh added. "I think God has also blessed me and I've had some great people that have helped me throughout my life. It's all part of God's plan. I'm going to keep following the path that he set out for me."
Here's 12 more things to know about the Seahawks' third-round pick:
Darboh:"Some people call me AD, or just Darb for short."
2. College Major?
Darboh: "Bowling, I like playing basketball, playing ping-pong, watching movies."
4. Favorite Movie?
Darboh: "Probably Friday, with Ice Cube."
5. Actor Who Would Play You In A Movie?
6. Favorite T.V. Show?
Darboh:"I like Game of Thrones."
7. Favorite Restaurant?
Darboh: "In Ann Arbor we have Frita Batidos, it's like a Cuban restaurant, burger restaurant place. I enjoy going there."
8. Better Artist: Drake or Kendrick Lamar?
Darboh:"They're both good. I'd probably say Kendrick Lamar because he's more of a lyricist, I like his play with words more. Drake's more catchy. I'll say Kendrick Lamar as an artist."
9. Dog Person Or Cat Person?
Darboh:"Dog. I have two dogs at home, they're golden retrievers."
10. You're Stranded On A Deserted Island, What Three Things Do You Want With You?
Darboh: "A bible, because a bible will keep me sane, that's one. Water, two. And my Xbox, probably some type of game system."
11. City Or Country You'd Like To Visit Someday?
Darboh:"Paris. A couple people, friends and family members that I know, have been there and said it's really cool. So I kind of want to go there and experience it, check it out."
12. Best Advice You've Ever Received?
Darboh: "There's no shortcuts in life. You have to work for everything."
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Defensive Tackle Malik McDowell
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Offensive Lineman Ethan Pocic
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Cornerback Shaquill Griffin
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Safety Delano Hill
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Defensive Tackle Nazair Jones
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Free Safety Tedric Thompson
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Cornerback Mike Tyson
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Offensive Tackle Justin Senior
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Wide Receiver David Moore
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Running Back Chris Carson
Photos of new Seahawks wide receiver Amara Darboh from Michigan.