Seattle Seahawks Virginia Mason Athletic Center
About the Virginia Mason Athletic Center
Home of the Seattle Seahawks
The Seahawks moved into the 200,000 square foot waterfront facility in August 2008. Virginia Mason Athletic Center is the second-largest facility in the NFL.
The property is bounded by Interstate 405 to the east, Lake Washington to the west, residential property to the north and 44th Street to the south.
The privately funded practice facility is situated on 19 acres of industrial property. It houses a permanent indoor practice facility, and the team's entire front office. In addition, there are three outdoor practice fields, 50,000 square feet of training facility space, 15,000 square feet of player meeting space and 48,000 square feet of administrative office space. Virginia Mason Athletic Center allows fans to watch practice during training camp.
Purchased by Vulcan Real Estate in 2000, the land was formerly home to a coal tar refinery & creosote plant, since remediated by Vulcan in concert with the City of Renton and the Washington State Department of Ecology. The project will improve the environmental climate of Renton and its wetlands by improving and redeveloping the site. Since the team's inaugural season in 1976, the Seahawks were housed at Carillon Point for 10.5 years from 1976-1986.
- Official Name: Virginia Mason Athletic Center. The facility name is part of a broad Seattle Seahawks and Virginia Mason partnership to support the health and well-being of our community.
- Location: The site is bounded by Interstate 405 to the east, Lake Washington to the west, residential properties to the north and open land area to the south. Its southern boundary is located approximately 1/4 of mile north of 44th Street.
- Site Size: Approximately 19.0 acres of buildable land area.
- Project Size: Approximately 200,000 gross square feet of enclosed space including the indoor practice field.
- Building Size: Approximately 124,000 gross square feet of administration and training facilities.
- Outdoor Fields Area: Three regulation size grass fields
- Indoors Practice Area: One regulation size artificial field with clear height of 95' allowing for kicking and punting.
- First Floor: Team area and auditorium, including locker room, lounge, training room, weight room, team meeting rooms and media production studios.
- Second Floor: Seahawks football administration. Approximately 48,000 gross square feet of coaching and football personnel offices, draft room, cafeteria and weight room mezzanine.
- Third Floor: Seahawks administrative offices.
- Training Camp: The new facility will host Seahawks training camp.
- VMAC Programming: The VMAC will serve as a location for health and community programming.
- On Site Parking: Approximately 275 cars
- Construction Schedule: 18 months
- Groundbreaking: January 2007
- Completion Date: Summer 2008
- Architects: Crawford Architects
- Funding: Private