Here's a recap of the latest news surrounding the Seahawks' division rivals in the NFC West:
Blaine Gabbert Named 49ers Starter For Week 1
- Chip Kelly announced that Blaine Gabbert will be San Fransisco’s starting quarterback come Week 1 when his team hosts the Rams. Colin Kaepernick will be Gabbert's backup, with Christian Ponder being the inactive quarterback on gamedays. "I think he's a good fit for what we want to get accomplished," Kelly said, "and I have a lot of confidence for what he can do for us offensively."
- One of San Francisco's young linebackers received a new contract.
- 49ers Senior Manager of Digital Content, Taylor Price, took a look at the best food options around Levi's Stadium.
Worth A Look
This tweet from from 49ers wide receiver Torrey Smith (@TorreySmithWR), who is ready for his sixth season in the NFL to begin.
Cardinals Add Veteran Cornerback From Chiefs
- Over the weekend, the Cardinals acquired cornerback Marcus Cooper from the Chiefs as they continue to search for a starting defensive back to play opposite of Patrick Peterson. Cooper joins a Cardinals rotation that includes third-round pick Brandon Williams and veteran Justin Bethel. In the team's preseason finale against the Broncos, the play of Williams and defensive back Cariel Brooks influenced the Cardinals to try another option. Brooks was cut over the weekend and head coach Bruce Arians said he feels Williams will be able to rebound in Arizona's season opener against the Patriots. *"I thought Brandon got better, but he's still got problems looking back at the quarterback when he's playing man-to-man," Arians said. "The guys who are going to play next Sunday night (against the Patriots), I have all the confidence in the world in them." *
- The Cardinals also shaped their practice squad roster over the weekend.
- Play-by-play voice of the Cardinals, Dave Pasch, talked with Larry Fitzgerald about how Arizona can replicate their 2015 success this year.
Worth A Look
Mark Dalton (@CardsMarkD), VP/Media Relations, tweeted this picture of defensive backs Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu, who will be featured in Sunday Night Football's new opening intro.
Rams Adjusting To Cal Lutheran
- On Monday, the Rams took the field for their first practice session at Cal Lutheran since relocating to California from Missouri. Rams Insider Myles Simmons talked with players about how the transition to the new facility has been thus far.* "It feels good," linebacker Alec Ogletree said. "We went through camp, OTAs and all that stuff. And now it's the real thing, so we're definitely excited about being out here at Cal Lutheran and getting ready for the season."*
- The Rams signed three more players on Tuesday to complete their practice squad.
- And over at the NFL Network, the "Good Morning Football" crew made predictions for the Rams' season finale on "Hard Knocks."
Worth A Look
Tiffany White (@TWhitePR), tweeted this photo from Rams head coach Jeff Fisher's first press conference at the team's facility.