Looking at the Snap Count from the Seahawks' Week 3 Win over the Chicago Bears

A look at how the playing time was distributed in Seattle's Week 3 win over the Bears.

Curious who plays in each game and how much they play, as well as what the distribution of playing time might mean? Throughout the season, we'll post the snap counts for the Seahawks the day after each game and take a look at what stood out.

week_3_snap_counts.png

Offense

  • After the five linemen and Russell Wilson, who all played every one of Seattle's 67 offensive snaps, Jimmy Graham led the way in playing time at 79 percent. Starting receivers Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse played 67 and 64 percent of the snaps, respectively. Tyler Lockett was still No. 3 for receiver playing time at 37 percent, but the playing time was more balanced behind the starting receivers, with Ricard Lockette playing 33 percent of the snaps and Chris Matthews playing 30 percent.
  • Fullback Derek Coleman played 21 percent of the snaps, while Will Tukuafu, active for the first time this season playing 18 percent, though some of Tukuafu's work came at tight end.
  • Marshawn Lynch, who was late getting into the game because he had a hard time getting loose, then missed the second half with a hamstring injury, played just 16 percent of the snaps, while Thomas Rawls played 51 percent.
  • With Luke Willson out because of back spasms, Cooper Helfet was on the field for 51 percent of the offensive snaps.

Defense

  • Richard Sherman, Cary Williams, Earl Thomas, K.J. Wright and Bobby Wagner played all of Seattle's 50 defensive snaps, while Bruce Irvin sat out just two.
  • Kam Chancellor played 80 percent of the snaps, with DeShawn Shead filling in at strong safety for the other 20 percent.
  • Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril played 82 percent and 80 percent of the snaps, respectively, to lead defensive linemen, while Ahtyba Rubin played 62 percent. With Brandon Mebane suffering a groin injury, Jordan Hill saw his workload increase, playing 60 percent of the snaps.
  • Pete Carroll said after the game that they were trying to get Frank Clark on the field more, and after playing 24 percent of the snaps in Week 1 and 27 percent in Week 2, Clark played 40 percent of the snaps Sunday.
  • The Seahawks played a lot more base defense a week after being in nickel almost the entire game against Green Bay, which meant less work for Marcus Burley, who played 34 percent of the snaps after playing 97 percent last week.

Special teams

  • Derrick Coleman, Kevin Pierre-Louis, Brock Coyle, Mike Morgan and Kelcie McCray all played 76 percent of the snaps to lead the way, while Chris Matthews played 58 percent, DeShawn Shead 56 percent and Marcus Burley 52 percent. Special teams numbers in this game are skewed towards whoever is on the punt return and kickoff teams, and away from anyone on kick returns seeing as the Seahawks forced 10 punts and, thanks to a shutout, returned just one kickoff (and that turned out pretty well).

The home opener of the Seahawks 40th season anniversary saw Seahawks Legends being honored, the 12s in full force, and the shutout of the Bears with the game ending at 26 – 0. 

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Advertising