OAKLAND -- John Schneider talked with 'Voice of the Seahawks' Steve Raible on the field at Oakland Coliseum moments before Seattle kicked off its final preseason game of 2016 against the Raiders.
Here's five thoughts from the Seahawks general manager:
1. (On what he'll be watching against the Raiders...) "We're going to be watching several of the backend guys tonight. They're obviously going to get a ton of time. This is really about what it looks like for the rest of the season for these guys and how they prioritize what's coming. Our guys are back in Seattle right now, we're going to land at like 3:30 [a.m.], we'll be going first thing in the morning, we have guys in there that were cut from other teams we're working out tomorrow from the 75 [man roster] cuts. We can kind of start prioritizing what our practice squads looking like and then really what a map for the whole season, what it's going to look, how we prioritize these guys, and how we try to get ahead of the game and improve our team in any way possible."
2. (On head coach Pete Carroll's message to the young players looking to make a name for themselves...) "Don't try too hard. Just do what you do and don't go outside yourself. Just do what you do best, what we've been practicing, watch your technique, and don't try to go do something that's completely out of your box."
3. (On the feel of this year's training camp...) "It was a darn good training camp in terms of the intensity. It's probably the most intense camp we've had so far. I think the guys recognize there's a lot of competition, so guys are pretty fiery, they're very competitive, they practice extremely hard, they work their tails off."
4. (On how he likes the Seahawks' current roster...) "Like it a lot, like it a lot. It's a good mix of some veterans, some youth on this team, the speed, some of these younger guys are real intense competitors, so we're excited about that. And on top of that, we're going to do whatever we possibly can throughout this weekend to get everything prioritized and we'll continue to do it all the way through this season to be where we're at a point where the coaches aren't put in tough situations because they don't have enough depth at a specific position."
5. (On one specific position he'll be watching against the Raiders...)"I think our back end, our defensive backs, that's going to be a very interesting thing. There's a lot of decisions we have to make there. Several of our runners have done a really nice job. We're going to get a good look at C.J. [Prosise] tonight, he's going to get more carries than he has in the past as he's working off his hamstring [injury]. Alex Collins, [Troymaine] Pope, there's some guys. Then some of the offensive linemen, some defensive linemen. Really, I'm talking about everybody. But there's some really interesting things that we'll be watching tonight."
Pregame photos from the Seahawks' road trip to the Bay Area for their preseason finale against the Oakland Raiders.