Ten years ago, the Seahawks used the 2012 draft to select two of the greatest players in franchise history less than two hours apart, as well as several other players who over the next decade contributed to seven playoff berths, four NFC West titles, two Super Bowl trips and one Lombardi Trophy.
A decade later, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider feel a similar vibe heading into the 2022 draft. With the ninth overall pick, two second-round picks and four picks in the top 72, the Seahawks are well situated to add an infusion of talent that they hope will be a part of the next run of successful seasons.
"It's exciting times," Schneider said last week. "We currently have eight picks, we have four in the top 72. So there's a real excitement about that and an enthusiasm. I was getting a workout in yesterday morning watching TV, they were talking about the NFC West and all the problems that everybody has and everything and, I don't know, it just brought me back to this energy of like the 2012 draft when we over-drafted a pass rusher (Irvin), and we drafted a linebacker that didn't have any instincts (Bobby Wagner), and we drafted a quarterback that didn't fit the height mold (Russell Wilson) and we over-drafted a nickelback (Jeremy Lane) and we over-drafted a third-down back (Robert Turbin) and we converted a defensive lineman to an offensive lineman (J.R. Sweezy), who is still playing for those who are keeping track, or he was last year. And then afterwards everybody giving us Fs. But the message is that in this building, we were super excited. We knew where we were headed. Pete and his staff had a great plan. It was loaded with competition, and we're excited to see that competition."
When the 2022 NFL Draft kicks off on Thursday night, we'll have you covered here at Seahawks.com as well as on our social media channels, but while you wait, here's everything you need to get ready:
Predict the 2022 NFL Draft for your chance at $50,000
Seahawks Football Fortune is back! Play now for your chance to win $50,000 and make your picks before we make ours!
When do the Seahawks pick?
While trades can and very likely will happen over the next few days, as things currently stand, the Seahawks head into the draft, which begins Thursday at 5 p.m. PT, with these eight picks:
- Round 1, No. 9 overall
- Round 2, No. 40 overall
- Round 2, No. 41 overall
- Round 3, No. 72 overall
- Round 4, No. 109 overall
- Round 5, No. 145 overall
- Round 5, No. 153 overall
- Round 7, No. 229 overall
Rob Rang's Draft Preview
Rob Rang, one of the country's best NFL Draft analysts, helped us preview the draft with a series of stories:
NFL Draft expert Rob Rang does a mock draft of Seahawks picks in preparation for the 2022 NFL Draft. Read more: https://shwks.com/e8gwr4
Here at Seahawks.com, we previewed every position group, looking at where things stand on the roster at that position prior to the draft, Carroll and Schneider's draft history at that position, and Rang's Top 5 prospects in this year's draft class at each position.
- 2022 NFL Draft Preview: Do The Seahawks Pick A Quarterback Early?
- 2022 NFL Draft Preview: Do The Seahawks Need More Depth Behind Quandre Diggs & Jamal Adams?
- 2022 NFL Draft Preview: Will The Seahawks Keep Adding Talent At Receiver?
- 2022 NFL Draft Preview: Do The Seahawks Actually Draft A Cornerback Early?
- 2022 NFL Draft Preview: Are The Seahawks Set At Tight End?
- 2022 NFL Draft Preview: Will The Seahawks Find Another Playmaker At Linebacker?
- 2022 NFL Draft Preview: With Rashaad Penny Back, Do The Seahawks Still Need To Add A Running Back?
- 2022 NFL Draft Preview: Do The Seahawks Again Use Their Top Pick On A Defensive Lineman?
- 2022 NFL Draft Preview: How Early Do The Seahawks Address The Need At Tackle
Mock Draft Trackers
Throughout the past several week's, we've been compiling mock drafts from local and national media to see what the experts think the Seahawks might do with the pick No. 9:
- 2022 Mock Draft Tracker 6.0: One Last Look At Predictions For The Seahawks At Pick No. 9
- 2022 Mock Draft Tracker 5.0: No Consensus On What The Seahawks Will Do
- 2022 Mock Draft Tracker 4.0: What Will The Seahawks Do With Pick No. 9?
- 2022 Mock Draft Tracker 3.0: Trades, Quarterbacks, Cornerbacks: Opinions Vary On What Seahawks Will Do In First Round
- 2022 Mock Draft Tracker 2.0: Will The Seahawks Draft A Tackle In Round 1?
- 2022 Mock Draft Tracker: What Do The Seahawks Do At No. 9?
Check out some of the best photos of Seahawks players participating in offseason workouts at the Virginia Mason Athletic Center on April 26, 2022.