Put on the spot and asked to describe his off-the-field hobbies moments after learning Seattle had used the 2017 draft's No. 90 overall pick to make him a member of the Seahawks, not much came to Shaquill Griffin's mind.
"The only thing I can think of right now is I go bowling a lot," Griffin said. "I definitely like bowling."
But for the Central Florida cornerback there's much more to it than strikes, turkeys, and spares when it comes to activities he enjoys outside of football.
"Besides that, I'm always coaching my track team," Griffin said. "That's the biggest thing I do."
Along with his twin brother Shaquem, Griffin, now age 21, started a youth track club — St. Pete Nitro — when he just 15 years old in St. Petersburg, Florida. Griffin, who started running track at age seven and continued with the sport in high school, didn't run track in college but instead would "live through the kids on the track team since I don't run anymore."
"I have been coaching them and while I'm away I have my uncle and my dad who coach the team, and I get a chance to stand in the workouts whenever I get a chance to," Griffin said. "When I come home, I get more personal work with some of the athletes who are getting ready to go to college."
Griffin said he's always felt like he was "in a position to try to reach kids" because of situations he and his twin brother — who had his left hand amputated when he was four years old — have had to overcome.
"I have my own track team and I have a lot of kids who look up to me and I feel like I found a way to reach out to people," Griffin said. "People tend to listen to me, so I feel like it's easy for me to be a motivational speaker. I always feel like I want to give back, I was just raised that way. I want the team to do that and use this platform to reach everybody that I can."
Here's 12 more things you probably didn't know about the Seahawks' third-round pick:
Griffin: "Quill (pronounced 'keel')."
2. College Major?
3. Athlete You Idolized Growing Up?
Griffin: "Definitely Ray Lewis."
4. Role Model Growing Up?
Griffin: "My father."
5. Favorite T.V. Show?
Griffin: "Family Guy."
6. Favorite Movie?
Griffin:"The Avengers, I'm huge on that whole series."
7. Favorite Food?
Griffin: "Seafood. I'm huge on seafood."
8. Best NFL Player At Your Position?
Griffin: "Richard Sherman."
9. Dog Or Cat Person?
Griffin: "Definitely a dog person. I bought a Yorkie for my girlfriend. Pit Bulls, that's my favorite dog."
10. Dream Vacation Spot?
Griffin: "I definitely want to visit Italy one day."
11. Aside From The NFL, Your Dream Job Would Be?
Griffin: "Definitely motivational speaking. I'm just huge on giving back to kids in my community."
12. Best Advice You've Ever Received?
Griffin: "Going through this process, pretty much just enjoy it, don't take it for granted, and whatever happens just be grateful for it."
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Defensive Tackle Malik McDowell
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Offensive Lineman Ethan Pocic
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Safety Delano Hill
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Defensive Tackle Nazair Jones
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Wide Receiver Amara Darboh
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Free Safety Tedric Thompson
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Cornerback Mike Tyson
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Offensive Tackle Justin Senior
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Wide Receiver David Moore
- 12 Things To Know About Seahawks Running Back Chris Carson
Photos of Seahawks draft pick Shaquill Griffin from Central Florida.