Terrelle Pryor and Bryan Walters hooked up on a 33-yard completion in Thursday night’s preseason finale, but the play wasn’t enough to allow either player to catch on when the Seahawks reduced their roster to 53 players on Saturday.
|THE CUT TO 53 |
The Seahawks announced the following roster moves in getting their 75-man roster down to 53 players on Saturday:
Acquired in a trade
Terminated veteran contracts
Placed on injured reserve
Pryor, the veteran QB who was acquired in an April trade with the Oakland Raiders; and Walters, the homegrown wide receiver and return man, were among the 20 players waived as the Seahawks reached the league-mandated roster limit.
Also included in the 23 rosters moves was the termination of the contract for veteran tackle Eric Winston, who was signed in late July and has started 119 consecutive regular-season games; and the waiving of two players selected in May’s NFL Draft – fullback Kiero Small and defensive tackle Jimmy Staten.
The Seahawks also made a trade, acquiring cornerback Marcus Burley from the Indianapolis Colts for an undisclosed draft pick in the 2015 NFL Draft. The 5-foot-11, 185-pound Burley was signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars as a free agent after the 2013 draft and also spent time on the practice squads of the Philadelphia Eagles and St. Louis Rams before going to the Colts.
Pryor tweeted the news of his release on Friday night: “Being in Seattle was an amazing experience. Great coaches, tech people, equipment management! Blessing!”
He was 11 of 17 for 134 yards and threw a touchdown pass in Thursday night’s preseason loss to the Raiders, the team that traded the QB to the Seahawks in April. But Pryor also threw two interceptions during the preseason and completed 53.8 percent of his passes.
“Terrelle made some plays tonight,” Carroll said after the preseason finale in Oakland. “It was hard night. (The Raiders) did a lot of good stuff. He battled real hard to give us a chance.”
The decision to waive Pryor and B.J. Daniels leaves the Seahawks with two quarterbacks – starter
Earlier this week, Carroll shared his thoughts on what goes into the decision to carry two or three QBs.
“Sometimes you just can’t afford not to have three guys because they’re so good and you just have to have them,” he said. “We were very fortunate that we made it through with the two-QB thing last year. Russell’s a young and physical player that can handle the pounding. He does a great job. He’s not a guy that puts himself in harm’s way very often.
“The two-QB thing really helps you because you get another football player on your team. But sometimes you can’t afford to do it because your guys are too good.”
“He’s a really good ballplayer,” Carroll said.
Several former Seahawks were released by other teams on Saturday: wide receiver Nate Burleson (Browns); wide receiver Kris Durham and defensive end Darryl Tapp (Lions); punter Brian Moorman (Bills); defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson and tight ends Cameron Morrah and Jameson Konz (Broncos); offensive lineman Ryan Seymour (49ers); kicker Shayne Graham (Saints); wide receiver Justin Veltung (Rams); and linebacker Cordarro Law (Chargers).