Last week at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, Ind., general manager John Schneider said the Seahawks faced some tough decisions as they moved into the offseason as Super Bowl champions. Coach Pete Carroll reiterated the same sentiment during the League's annual convention.
The first of those moves has been made, as defensive end Red Bryant and wide receiver Sidney Rice were released today.
"We want to thank both Red and Sidney for their effort, commitment and contribution to the Seattle Seahawks over the last few years," Executive Vice President/GM John Schneider said in a release issued by the team. "These are extremely tough decisions, but we wanted to give them a head start on free agency. We wish them well in the future."
While the moves carried obvious emotional baggage, they were not surprising. Bryant played limited snaps in his role as a run-stuffing defensive end and injuries interrupted Rice’s three-season stay with the Seahawks after he was signed to a five-year contract in 2011.
Carroll was asked about potential offseason moves during his podium stint at the NFL Scouting Combine last Friday, before the release of the veteran duo was announced.
“Our whole thing is we’d like to keep this team together as best we can,” Carroll said. “There are some very difficult decisions every year you face in the league with contracts and money and (salary) cap and all that stuff. Every season is like that, so that brings very challenging decisions for us because we love our team, we love our guys.
“There’s numbers of issues that we have to deal with, and we’ll deal with them as well as we can.”
After the announcement today, Rice took to social media to share his passion for the 12th Man and the Seahawks organziation.