Kid stuff

Posted Dec 2, 2012

Russell Wilson passed and ran the Seahawks to a 23-17 upset victory over the Bears in overtime at Soldier Field on Sunday.

CHICAGO – In Russell Wilson they trust.

The rookie quarterback led an 80-yard touchdown drive in overtime at Soldier Field on Sunday as the Seahawks grabbed a 23-17 victory. Wilson’s game-winner came on a 13-yard TD pass to Sidney Rice with 7:33 left in OT.

Wilson passed for a career-high 293 yards and also ran for 71.

The victory boosted the Seahawks to 7-5 and, more importantly, allowed them to hold the second wild-card spot in the NFC playoff race. It also gave then a rare road victory. They are now 2-5 this season, and 7-16 in three seasons under coach Pete Carroll.

More good news? The Seahawks have only one road trip remaining – to Toronto, where they’ll play the Buffalo Bills on Dec. 16. They also have home games before (next week against the Arizona Cardinals) and after (Dec. 23 against the San Francisco 49ers and Dec. 30 against the St. Louis Rams) that trip to Toronto. And the Seahawks at 5-0 at CenturyLink Field, including upsets of the Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots and Minnesota Vikings.

All Wilson did on the game-winning drive was run for 5 yards on third-and-2, run for 12 yards on third-and-5, pass to Doug Baldwin for 12 yards on third-and-10 and then throw the TD pass.

On the TD, Rice was lunging to the goal line. He got in, but also took a shot from Major Wright and was down for several minutes before walking off the field.

The Seahawks took a 10-7 lead at halftime by scoring twice in the final 2½ minutes on a 4-yard run by Marshawn Lynch and a 31-yard field goal by Steven Hauschka. Russell Wilson completed seven passes in the two scoring drives for 112 yards.

The Bears scored first as Jay Cutler passed 12 yards to Earl Bennett, who flipped into the end zone after being hit by Brandon Browner to cap a six-play, 49-yard drive. Cutler passed for four first downs and scrambled for a fifth in the opening quarter.

The Seahawks took the opening kickoff and quickly drove to their 45 in four plays, but Lynch lost the ball on the next play and cornerback Kelvin Hayden recovered the Brian Urlacher-forced fumble at the Seahawks’ 49. The Bears scored six plays later.

The Seahawks tied the score late in the second quarter when Lynch scored to cap a nine-play, 94-yard drive with 2:15 left in the half. Wilson was 4 of 5 for 80 yards on the drive. The Seahawks then took the lead on Hauschka’s field goals with 10 seconds left. The officials ruled that the Seahawks had scored a TD on Braylon Edwards’ catch of a 14-yard pass from Wilson, but overruled the call after reviewing the play.

On the Seahawks’ TD drive, 49 of the 94 yards came on Golden Tate’s third-and-6 catch, as he got past cornerback Tim Jennings along the sideline. Tate also caught an 18-yarder on third-and-4 and a 5-yarder on the drive.

But the defense came up big to prevent the Bears from scoring again earlier in the quarter. On a fourth-and-1 from the Seahawks’ 15-yard line, Michael Bush leaped over the middle of the line only to be met by middle linebacker Bobby Wagner. The no-gain stop halted a Bears’ drive that had begun at their 12-yard line in the first quarter.

The Bears regained the lead in the third quarter as Jay Cutler passed 11 yards to Matt Forte for a touchdown with 3:10 left, capping an 11-play, 94-yard drive that consumed 6:46. Cutler was 4 of 5 for 32 yards, while Forte ran five times 24 yards and also scored the TD.

It appeared the Seahawks had forced their second three-and-out of the quarter when Cutler’s third-down pass to Brandon Marshall was incomplete. But rookie rush-end Bruce Irvin was penalized for hands to the face of the Bears’ QB, giving Chicago a first down at their 14-yard line. Nine plays later, the Bears scored the go-ahead TD.

The Seahawks ran only eight plays in the Bears-dominated quarter – five on their first possession, three on the second.