"It's just preseason."
It's an all-too-common phrase thrown around in the month of games leading up to the regular season matchups that "actually matter." But try telling that to the slew of Seahawks who use this time to prove to the coaching staff that they're worth a spot on the 53-man roster.
Try telling that to running backs
Try telling that to cornerbacks
Try telling that to the competition group at kick and punt returner, where Thurmond, Lane, Blackmon and Michael received reps - and excelled - last night against the Chargers.
Try telling that to wide receivers
Try telling that to linebacker
Try telling that to offensive lineman
Try telling that to "the kid from Idaho" - as head coach Pete Carroll dubbed
I could keep going, but I'll save you your retinas. The point being there is a lot of young talent with a lot to prove before the Seahawks kickoff the 2013 regular season in 30 days at Bank of America Stadium against the Carolina Panthers. The next time you hear someone say, "It's just preseason," let them know about one of the competitions going on at Renton's Virginia Mason Athletic Center, and about the precious roster spots at stake.
Now, here's a look at what's on tap in the days ahead with your Seattle Seahawks:
Saturday, August 10:
- Players off
Sunday, August 11:
- Training camp practice No. 13 - 10:15 a.m. PT
- The Sea Gals will unveil their 2014 calendar at The Triple Door in downtown Seattle. Doors open at 5 p.m. PT with the festivities starting at 6 p.m. PT. Calendars will be available for purchase at the event, but you can also pre-order a calendar for pick up on site.
Monday, August 12:
- Training camp practice No. 14 - 10:15 a.m. PT
- Fourth-year cornerback Walter Thurmond celebrates his 26th birthday. Be sure to send some well-wishes Walter's way on Twitter @WaltThurm3
Tuesday, August 13:
- Players off
- Our #HawksMailbag is back with another round of questions and answers surrounding your Seattle Seahawks. Check out our first edition of #HawksMailbag here and feel free to submit your questions directly to me on Twitter @TonyDrovetto, or send them along to @Seahawks.
Wednesday, August 14:
- "Competition Wednesday" Training camp practice No. 15 - 10:15 a.m. PT
Thursday, August 15:
- "Turnover Thursday" Training camp practice No. 16 - 10:15 a.m. PT
- Break Camp
Friday, August 16:
- "No Repeat Friday" Training camp practice No. 17 - 12 p.m. PT
Saturday, August 17:
- Preseason Game No. 2 vs Denver Broncos. Kickoff at 7 p.m. PT from CenturyLink Field. The game will be broadcast on Q13 FOX, 710 AM ESPN Seattle & KIRO Radio 97.3 FM. If you have trouble finding our preseason games outside the Seattle area, check out Preseason Live, where you can watch preseason games live online with your computer or tablet device.
- Defensive end
Greg Scruggscelebrates his 23rd birthday. You can wish him a happy birthday on Twitter @G_Scruggs