OAKLAND, Calif. – A recap of the Seahawks’ 41-31 loss to the Oakland Raiders in their preseason finale at O.co Coliseum on Thursday night:
PLAYER OF THE GAME: DEREK CARR
Russell Wilson was 3-of-3 for 77 yards and a touchdown on the Seahawks’ opening series of the game for a 158.3 passer rating. But Derek Carr then finished what Wilson started. The Raiders’ rookie QB was 11-of-13 for 143 yards and three TDs for a 152.1 rating – not to mention a 28-7 lead.
|YOU DON'T SAY |
"This game is not indicative, I hope, of how we’re going to play."
- Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll
“Gosh, he was really good,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said.
Matt Schaub did not play because of a sore elbow, and the Raiders insist that he remains their starter. But Carr played like a starter against the Seahawks’ No. 1 and No. 2 defensive units.
On the Raiders’ first drive to a rushing TD, Carr completed 5-of-7 passes for 41 yards against the Seahawks’ starters, including 13- and 11-yard completions of third-and-10 plays. He then passed for a 36-yard TD on the next offensive play, after Bryan Walters fumbled away the kickoff return following the initial score. A 45-yard punt return then set up Carr’s second TD pass – a 20-yarder. On the drive to his third TD pass, Carr was 4-of-4 for 46 yards.
PLAYS OF THE GAME
Defense: DeShawn Shead’s diving interception of a Matt McGloin pass that was tipped by cornerback Phillip Adams and returned 54 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter.
Offense: Bryan Walter’s over-the-shoulder catch of a 33-yard pass from Terrelle Pryor on a third-and-5 play on a 10-play 59-yard drive that ended with a 27-yard field goal by Steven Hauschka.
Special teams: Walter’s fumble on the kickoff return following the Raiders’ first TD. Keith McGill stripped the ball and Jack Crawford recovered at the Seahawks’ 36-yard line. Carr passed to Denarius Moore for a TD on the next play.
INJURY REPORT: TRIO OF SEAHAWKS LEAVE GAME
Defensive lineman D’Anthony Smith (biceps) and the rookie duo of defensive end Cassius Marsh (hip flexor) and linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis (strained hamstring) were injured during the game.
- Walters had a busy night. After fumbling the early kickoff return (his first fumble playing football, ever), he scored on a 7-yard pass from B.J. Daniels in the fourth quarter, led the team with three receptions for 47 yards, returned five kickoffs for 137 yards, including a 36-yarder, and also had a 13-yard punt return.
- Daniels was the Seahawks’ leading rusher with 34 yards, including a 28-yarder.
- Rookie linebacker Brock Coyle led the Seahawks with six tackles, while Jordan Hill and Malcolm Smith had sacks.
- The Seahawks had more total yards (406) than the Raiders (353), but also were penalized 12 times for 95 yards.
- Cornerback Richard Sherman, running back Marshawn Lynch and snapper Clint Gresham were the captains for the game.