Seahawks.com Content Producer
You are here
Social Scene: Richard Sherman signs four-year contract extension with Seahawks
On Wednesday morning, minutes before the Seahawks were scheduled to hold an unspecified press conference at Renton's Virginia Mason Athletic Center, Sherman announced on his website he had agreed to a new deal with the club that he later confirmed would keep him in Seattle through 2018, stating, "There is no other city or team that I would want to play football for."
And with that, any speculation there was surrounding the announced presser at Seahawks headquarters quickly subsided.
"I guess this is how it feels to be a first-rounder for one time."
The 2011 fifth-round draft pick Sherman went on to thank Schneider, Carroll, Seahawks owner Paul Allen, his family, the 12s, and nearly every single one of his Seahawks teammates and coaches who have been a part of his journey.
The deal was one Schneider and his staff had been working toward this offseason, rounding out a group of contract extensions that also included deals for coach Carroll, free safety Earl Thomas, and defensive end Michael Bennett. Sherman said one of the ways he managed to stay sane through the process was to ignore the noise - as quarterback Russell Wilson often says.
“Sometimes I’ll take hiatuses from social media," Sherman said. "That will keep you sane a little bit for a short amount of time.”
So will Sherman, whose Facebook page has more than 1 million "Likes" and whose Twitter and Instagram accounts boast more than than 1.5 million followers combined, take a hiatus from social media on this historic day?
“Nah, I’ll read the comments today," he said. "If I’m going to read them on the day after the NFC Championship game, then I’ve got to read them today.”